|Overstrand Staying at The Sea Marge Photographs of Overstrand Where to eat in Overstrand|
|Places within 4 miles or 6.5km||East Runton||Sidestrand||Felbrigg||Southrepps|
It was a Banker Sir Edgar Speyer and his American wife who commissioned this large mock Tudor hall in 1908, which they named the Sea Marge. Sea Marge means land that borders the sea or seashore. Their intention was to create a seaside residence for themselves on the coast in Norfolk. They joined the ever increasing ranks of other famous residents in the village of Overstrand.
This Norfolk fishing
village became known as the Village of Millionaires in the later part of
the 19th century. The term was coined because of the large number of famous
people who brought property in the area after the region had been
made popular by Clement Scott.
By the turn of the century no less than six millionaires had houses in
Overstrand. Even Winston Churchill's father Lord Randolph owned a house
in the village - Pear Tree Cottage. From where he mobilised
the Navy for the First World War as First Lord of the Admiralty whilst
of the rumours included the use of the Sea Marge as a signalling point
for German submarines. So Sir Edgar was stripped of his knighthood
and British nationality on the grounds of disloyalty to the king and
unlawful communications with the enemy. He left these shores in 1916 and
returned to his birthplace in North America.
The Francis Frith collection has some old photographs of the Sea Marge and the surrounding area.